Saturday, September 26, 2015

ABC Cooking Studio: Ham Mayo and Cinnamon Raisin Bread


A few days ago, a headline on my Facebook news feed caught my eye: "Bangkok's welcomed a serious Japanese cooking school. ABC Cooking Studio"


The next thing I knew, I was here:




Yes I was just that fast. 


The studio is located on the third floor (Beacon zone) of Central World. They just had their opening event the day before I showed up, hence the botanical garden sitting right outside.


Since this is their opening month, trial lessons are priced at 500 Baht (50% discount from their regular price). For the trial lessons, they are currently offering three options:



  • Gateau au Chocolat
  • Japanese Hamburg Steak
  • Ham mayo and Cinnamon roll


Right away I made my choice. The ham mayo and cinnamon roll. If you know me, you'll know the one thing I hate baking is bread. It is my baking nemesis. All that kneading, proofing, yeast blooming: NOPE.

But today is the day I defeat my nemesis. 

Here's my instructor for the day, Sia. Sia's very sweet, knowledgeable and was very eager to answer all my questions (most importantly, she was very tolerant to my non-stop picture taking.)




Sia started off by showing me this adorable illustrated recipe and instructions. Ok now I'm all hyped up. 




We started making the dough by mixing flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt and butter. Everything was measured and scaled right down to the gram. 

To avoid getting flour and dough all over my camera I skipped taking pictures as I wrestled with my dough. (still managed to get flour on my camera anyway though)


And here's my dough after 20 minutes of proofing. 





Isn't it adorable? So round, so smooth, so puffy I could almost hear it screaming "Poke me! Poke me!"


And so I poked it. 






Just kidding. The poking was actually a way to test if the dough was ready to be rolled. If your finger leaves a hole in the dough, it is ready to be rolled. 


Next we cut the dough in half. Half for the cinnamon roll and the other half for three ham and mayo rolls. They are then rolled into squares. For the cinnamon roll we sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar, rum-soaked raisins and sliced almonds (mmmmm) and rolled up. The other half of the dough was simply rolled up with ham and topped with a swirl of mayo and generously brushed with egg wash. 





Behold, the ham and mayo roll is out of the oven.

Drum roll please?




I couldn't resist tasting this one first. The bread was nice and light. The ham and mayo together added just the right richness to it. It would make a perfect on the go breakfast but the next time I make this I will probably add some cheese. That's just how I roll. 


And now to the less photogenic cousin.




My cinnamon roll kind of  fell apart in the oven. Sia said it was because I didn't pinch it together tight enough. Oh well. It tastes much lighter and less sweet than american cinnamon rolls, and it was actually pretty pleasant.


Next week I'll be back for a Gateau au Chocolat class! 


For more details on courses and pricing, visit ABC Cooking Studio Thailand's Facebook or call 02-646-1910










2 comments:

  1. The cinnamon roll creation looks glorious, regardless of if falling apart. It still looks great! Cinnamon and raisins are my favorite, whether in bread or cinnamon rolls, or donuts or whatever. :) The ham and mayo 'work' also looks great, even though I am admittedly afraid of mayo.. 555. Although I would certainly try that in spite of this.

    It's really good that this is a creative outlet for you. I've always thought that cooking is a real art, I just don't have the patience for it. I can draw and play music, but not cook.. not artistically like you at least. It's nice to see the passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should try the chocolate class next while the prices are still good. If the bread is that good the chocolate has to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete